From USA TODAY’s here is an edited version of Road Warriors, a panel of frequent business travelers who rack up millions of miles a year on the road, have a trove of tips on how to pack smart, stay organized and keep healthy on the road.
- If you do a little planning ahead of time it really can relieve that stress level and make traveling in today’s environment much easier. Think through the trip ahead; air, car, hotel. Know where they are and how to get there. If meeting others, a restaurant preplanned is a good idea.
- Make sure you have all the phone numbers of colleagues, hotels and meeting venues.
- To relieve the stress of the expenses account, take a picture of each receipt. Take the paper, but just in case you have all the records.
- Pack lightly, for what you need, not fashion. (more next week)
- Be prepared…Do not hesitate to reconfirm all your reservations prior to departure. Your travel consultant will be pleased to do so!
- Skip the red-eyes. Unless you sleep very well on a plane, all the overnight flight does is ruin the rest of your trip or return. If the destination requires an over night allow extra time to recover.
- Travel with lots of one dollar bills. They speed so many transactions along the way. And in foreign countries people love to see the USD and George Washington. They make a great thank you gift.
- Travel with anti-bacterial wipes to clean the rental car and hotel room.
- Stay fit on the road is always good. You may be sitting more when traveling so walking the stairs and walkways are best.
- Do not go to a restaurant hungry. Have an apple from the free fruit bowl at the hotel.
“Be nice to all the wait staff. It is amazing the kinds of additional services, perks, special help that you can get being nice to all the service personnel you encounter.”